Sojourner House is a comprehensive domestic violence agency that provides education, residential services (shelter and transitional housing), and community based services (including support groups, immigration advocacy, and HIV testing and education) to all victims and survivors of domestic violence.
Job Location: Providence and northern Rhode Island
Reports to: Director of Residential Advocacy
Position: Full time (37.5 hours a week)
Responsible for working closely with the Director of Residential Advocacy and the agency’s management team to implement Sojourner House’s residential program, which currently includes an emergency shelter for women and children, a shelter for male-identified victims, a shelter for victims of trafficking, transitional housing, permanent housing, and rapid rehousing programs.
The Senior Housing Specialist will have the following primary responsibilities, in addition to providing general support to the agency’s residential program:
- Provide case management, advocacy, and related assistance to clients in Sojourner House’s residential program;
- Supervise some of the advocate-level positions in the residential program;
- Assist with property management of some of the agency’s housing programs;
- Assist with the development of programming for residential clients;
- Work collaboratively with other state housing providers to assist Sojourner House clients in moving on to permanent housing.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES:
- Provide individual case management services to clients in Sojourner House’s residential housing program. This includes weekly 1:1 meetings, regular phone check-ins, and periodic visits to their apartment. Develop action plans with clients that outline goals related to education, employment, child care, and permanent housing. Assist clients in obtaining appropriate substance abuse, mental health, and/or medical services as needed.
- Develop and implement programming to benefit clients in the residential housing program. At a minimum, the Specialist will facilitate 1-2 support groups, meetings, and/or programs per week that will benefit residential clients and other community members. The Specialist will regularly assess the needs of Sojourner House’s transitional housing clients and offer programs reflective of those needs (e.g. GLBTQ discussion groups, HIV/AIDS prevention groups, etc.).
- Supervise 2 to 5 full-time residential staff members. Provide guidance, assistance, and direction to staff; assist with client case plans as needed.
- Working with the Youth Advocate, coordinate children’s services and make referrals as necessary for residential housing families with minor children, which may include but are not limited to: enrollment in the local school system, art expressive therapy groups, tutoring sessions, play groups, field trips, after school, recreational, and enrichment activities, child care, and mental health programs.
- Answer phone calls, conduct intakes of new clients, and provide referrals and information to potential housing clients.
- Assist with the monitoring and implementation of housing policies, and ensure that residents follow these rules and procedures by creating an environment of trust and community.
- Complete data entry and submit necessary reports as required for grant compliance.
- Help with the collection of rent from clients in the transitional housing program.
- Provide property management assistance and address the maintenance needs of the transitional housing units as needed. This may include arranging appointments with necessary contractors to provide needed repairs, as well as working directly with landlords that the agency leases apartments from.
- Develop and implement policies and strategies to assist residential clients to access permanent housing. This may include working with other housing providers and individually assisting clients in applying for benefits or completing housing applications.
- Stay abreast of RI community housing issues by building and maintaining relationships with housing and social service agencies in Providence, northern Rhode Island, and throughout the state. Serve on state or local working committees as requested.
- Prepare and deliver community presentations on issues related to domestic violence, sexual assault, and housing/homelessness when requested.
- Support Sojourner House’s philosophy of client empowerment and respect for individual choices.
- Be willing to receive training to become a Qualified Professional HIV Test Counselor.
- Be willing to receive training to assist clients with social security applications and related benefits applications.
- Work as necessary with other residential advocates and the Director of Development/Volunteer Coordinator to help supervise volunteers and interns.
- Periodically provide on-call emergency assistance to residential clients when requested.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director of Residential Advocacy or the Executive Director.
Bachelor’s Degree in social work, psychology, or related field preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SPECIAL SKILLS:
- A minimum of five years' experience in human or social services
- Demonstrated experience with working in the homelessness or housing field
- Experience supervising full-time staff members is required.
- Familiarity with domestic violence, sexual violence, and/or gender issues
- Must be organized and demonstrate superior leadership skills
- Fluency in Spanish (both oral and written) is preferred.
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and general Internet skills)
- Familiarity and comfort working with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
- Experience developing and delivering community presentations
- A demonstrated familiarity with GLBTQ, HIV/AIDS, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations
- Access to a vehicle in order to facilitate traveling between the agency’s different locations
- Comfort working individually and in teams
- Familiarity with social services in Rhode Island
- A track record of providing innovative thinking to the implementation of service delivery
- Applicant must pass a BCI check.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including one night a week (Thursday nights) and occasional weekends as needed
This position is 37.5 hours a week (5 full days). Applicants will be eligible for benefits, including health insurance, dental insurance, accrual of leave time, and a 401(k) plan.
Interested candidates should fill out the form above, or send a resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) references to Adelaide Downham at adownham at sojournerri.org, or by mail to Sojourner House, 386 Smith Street, Providence, RI 02908. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and must be received by Monday, July 31st. No phone calls, please.
Sojourner House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.