Sojourner House is a comprehensive domestic violence agency that provides education, residential services (shelter and transitional housing) and community-based services (including support groups, immigration advocacy, and HIV testing and education) to all victims and survivors of domestic violence.
Sojourner House is in the process of expanding its programs to accommodate victims who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community. We are seeking an Advocate of this program who will provide direct services, conduct outreach to potential clients and organizations, and provide educational trainings on intimate partner violence and how it affects men and the LGBTQ community.
Job Location: Providence/Northern Rhode Island
Reports to: Manager of LGBTQ+ Programs
Working with the Manager of LGBTQ+ Programs, the residential housing team, and the Drop-In community services staff, the Advocate will provide direct services and programming to domestic and sexual violence victims who identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community.
Status and Salary:
Full Time with benefits (including health/dental insurance, a 401(k) plan, and an Employee Assistance Program) with an hourly rate of $17 to $19 an hour. Advocate must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including one late evening a week and occasional weekend hours that can be flexed as needed.
Principal job Duties:
- Provide individual case management services to male-identified and/or LGBTQ+ clients in the community and in Sojourner House’s residential program. This includes weekly 1:1 meetings, regular phone check-ins, and periodic visits to their apartment. Develop action plans with clients that outline goals related to obtaining education, employment, and permanent housing. Assist clients in obtaining appropriate substance abuse, housing referrals and applications, mental health, medical services and/or other referrals as needed.
- Answer phone calls, conduct intakes of new clients and provide referrals and information to potential residential and community clients.
- Coordinate programming to benefit male-identified victims in our residential program and in the community. At a minimum, the Advocate will facilitate 1-2 support groups, meetings or programs per week that will benefit male residential clients. The Advocate will regularly assess the needs of Sojourner House’s clients and offer programs reflective of those needs (e.g. GLBTQ discussion groups, HIV/AIDS prevention groups, etc.).
- Provide coverage at the confidential Safe House to provide male-identified and/or trans residents with the support and assistance they need, including emotional support, education on domestic violence, and assistance adjusting to their new environment.
- Provide advocacy at the Drop-In Center to clients as needed.
- Complete data entry and submit necessary reports as required for grant compliance.
- Conduct outreach to the community about our services for male-identified and/or trans victims and the LGBTQ community.
- Stay abreast of RI community housing issues by building and maintaining relationships with housing and social service agencies in Providence and throughout the state.
- At the earliest training, participate in the Department of Health certification training and become a Qualified Professional Test Counselor (QPTC) in order to have the ability to administer oral HIV tests.
- Once QPTC certified, provide oral HIV tests to Sojourner House clients and conduct outreach in the community to provide testing at designated sites.
- Prepare and deliver community presentations on issues related to domestic violence, male-identified victims, HIV transmission, and/or the LGBTQ community when requested.
- Support Sojourner House’s philosophy of client empowerment and respect for individual choices.
- Assist with fundraising and awareness-raising events to directly benefit Sojourner House’s men’s services and LGBTQ programs.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Manager of Residential Services or the Sojourner House management team.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Experience and Special Skills:
- A minimum of two to three years experience in human or social services
- A demonstrated familiarity with domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and/or gender issues
- A demonstrated familiarity working with the LGBTQ community
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and general Internet skills)
- Familiarity working with individuals from different cultures and backgrounds
- Experience developing and delivering community presentations
- A demonstrated familiarity with HIV/AIDS, mental health, and/or substance abuse populations
- Comfort working individually and in teams
- Familiarity with social service services in Rhode Island
- Ability to work an irregular work schedule (subject to change), including some evenings and occasional weekends. This position is full time (37.5 hours each week) with access to full employee benefits (health, dental, leave time, and a 401(k) plan)
- Ability to speak Spanish or a language other than English is preferred
- Ability to periodically be on-call for off-hours emergency calls and situations
- Applicant must pass BCI check
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for 2-3 references to Eileen Rasmussen at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until deadline of December 19th, 2018. Sojourner House is an equal opportunity employer.